39th Parliament, 2nd Session
October 16, 2007 -
September 7, 2008
About this Committee
The Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration examines orders of reference that the House of Commons refers to it. Orders of reference may relate to bills, Estimates or order-in-council appointments. The Committee may also study issues of its own choosing.
In addition, the Committee studies and reports on all matters relating to the mandate, management and operation of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB). Such matters include:
- the statute law relating to CIC and/or IRB;
- the program and policy objectives of CIC and/or IRB, and their effectiveness in implementing their objectives;
- the immediate, medium and long-term expenditure plans of CIC and/or IRB, as well as their effectiveness in implementing their expenditure plans;
- analyses of the relative success of CIC and/or IRB, as measured by the results obtained as compared with its stated objectives; and
- other matters, relating to the mandate, management, organization or operation of CIC and/or IRB, as the Committee deems fit.