A to Z Index
Senators and Members
LEGISinfo - Home
Bills on Today's Agenda
Bills Before Committee
Legislation at a Glance
Stay in Touch
Subscribe to a news feed to get the latest updates on the following topics:
Create a custom RSS feed
House Government Bill
42nd Parliament, 1st Session
December 3, 2015 - Present
Text of the Bill
All Published Versions
As passed by the House of Commons
An Act to amend the Canada Pension Plan, the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board Act and the Income Tax Act
Minister of Finance
Statute of Canada
2016, c. 14
Last Stage Completed
Status of the Bill
Speaker’s Rulings and Statements
Major Speeches at Second Reading
Similar Bills Introduced in Previous Sessions
Coming into Force
About this Bill
A legislative summary is currently being prepared for this bill by the Parliamentary Information and Research Service of the Library of Parliament. Meanwhile, the following executive summary is available.
On 6 October 2016, Minister of Finance introduced Bill C-26, An Act to amend the Canada Pension Plan, the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board Act and the Income Tax Act, in the House of Commons and it was given first reading.
Part 1 of this enactment amends the Canada Pension Plan to, among other things,
• increase the amount of the retirement pension, as well as the survivor’s and disability pensions and the post-retirement benefit, subject to the amount of additional contributions made and the number of years over which those contributions are made;
• increase the maximum level of pensionable earnings by 14% as of 2025;
• provide for the making of additional contributions, beginning in 2019;
• provide for the creation of the Additional Canada Pension Plan Account and the accounting of funds in relation to it; and
• include the additional contributions and increased benefits in the financial review provisions of the Act and authorize the Governor in Council to make regulations in relation to those provisions.
This Part also amends the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board Act to provide for the transfer of funds between the Investment Board and the Additional Canada Pension Plan Account and to provide for the preparation of financial statements in relation to amounts managed by the Investment Board in relation to the additional contributions and increased benefits.
Part 2 makes related amendments to the Income Tax Act to increase the Working Income Tax Benefit and to provide a deduction for additional employee contributions.
Top of page