On May 31, 2016, the Senate adopted the following motion:
That, without affecting the progress of any proceedings relating to Bill C-14, An Act to amend the Criminal Code and to make related amendments to other Acts (medical assistance in dying):
1. immediately after Prayers on the sitting day following the adoption of this motion, the Senate resolve itself into a Committee of the Whole to consider the subject matter of the bill;
2. the committee receive the Honourable Jody Wilson-Raybould, P.C., M.P., Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, and officials, for a period of up to two hours, followed by the Honourable Jane Philpott, P.C., M.P., Minister of Health, and officials, for another period of up to two hours; and
3. two televisions cameras and two pool photographers be authorized in the Senate Chamber to broadcast and photograph the proceedings of the committee, with the least possible disruption of the proceedings; and
That on the day the Senate resolves itself into Committee of the Whole pursuant to this motion:
1. the provisions of the order of February 4, 2016, respecting the time of adjournment, be suspended; and
2. the provisions of rule 3-3(1) be suspended.