What is this service?
The Information Management Unit of the House of Commons prepares, in both official languages, a comprehensive cumulative subject index to the House of Commons Debates (Hansard) as well as indexes to other major parliamentary publications (Journals and Status of House Business).
The Index to the Debates is subject-based and extensively cross-referenced. It provides general subject analysis as well as subject breakdown under the names of Members of Parliament indicating those matters discussed by them in the Chamber. The numbers immediately following the entries refer to the appropriate issue sitting number and time checks in Hansard. All subject entries in the index are arranged alphabetically, matters pertaining to legislation are arranged chronologically.
A typical entry consists of a main heading followed by one or more sub-headings:
Cross-references to a first sub-heading are denoted by a long dash.
Capital gains see Income tax—Farmers
The most common abbreviations found in the Index are as follows:
- amdt. = amendment
- Chap. = Chapter
- g.r. = government response
- M. = motion
- o.q. = oral question
- qu. = question on the Order Paper
- R.A. = Royal Assent
- r.o. = return ordered
- S.C. = Statutes of Canada
- S.O. = Standing Order
Political affiliations are denoted by the following abbreviations:
||New Democratic Party
||Progressive Conservative Party
The Index and Reference Service also provides reference assistance to persons seeking information regarding any of the above-named publications.
What types of questions do we answer?
Examples of questions we can answer include:
- When did a Member ask a question in the House about gun control?
- When was a particular Bill introduced in the House?
- How did a Member vote on a particular Bill?
- What is the current status of a Bill?
- Could you tell me if the current government has introduced any legislation regarding gun control?
- Can you provide me with a list of topics (subjects) that a Member has spoken on in the House and in Committee?
- Where can I find a copy of a Committee report?
If we cannot answer your questions we will refer you to an appropriate source.
How to submit a question?
You may reach us by: